Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Let the eating begin

Today’s visit to the garden found healthy green plants with many shows of flowering blooms. It thrills me to no end that four orange cherry tomatoes were found on both Sweet Million plants. I’m somewhat ashamed to say, I ate them all; as soon as my eyes meet their bright orange glow, I just had to have a taste; as my teeth sunk into the firm flesh of a tomato just before ripe, the sweet, juicy pop of flavor exploded in my mouth; then they were gone. With a height of almost two feet, green tomatoes and flowers still blooming, I expect a Sweet Million from these plants on the southern corners of our plot.

The Romanian Sweet Pepper has flowers as did the other tomatoes. Both basil plants were flowering so I cut them down to about six inches. The Mesclun mix I harvested equals about 5 healthy cups. All three cantaloupes have spread to over two feet. It will surely fill in the garden’s bare spots. I replanted some marigolds in between tomatoes making room for another pepper or two. I also see many bare spots that onions will fill nicely. The cabbage is nearly filled with holes; the inside heads have currently been spared. If a spray of organic dish soap and water along with beer traps don’t work, I’m going to pull them and plant something else.

Overall, the garden looked healthy, but I expected better; I need to water it more often as rains have dwindled and daily temperature has risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment