Saturday, June 12, 2010

Victory Gardens

Our food travels an average of 1500 miles from farm to table. Packaging and transporting food costs consumers a great deal of money that could be easily saved if you used your feet instead of oil to gain access to fresh produce; rising oil prices directly affect the cost of our food. During WWI and WWII the United States government asked its citizens to plant Victory Gardens in the name of patriotism. They wanted Americans to provide their own fruits and vegetables through family or community gardening efforts. During WWII nearly 20 million Americans planted gardens in backyards, empty lots and on city rooftops.

When World War II ended, so did the government promotion of victory gardens. Unfortunately the long term benefits of the short lived Victory Gardens were not realized. My grandfather returned from the war injured; finding work was hard for him; grandma lost her job to returned soldiers. These circumstances prompted them to continue gardening and preserving food. They also bought a few chickens as a cost effective way to provide eggs. My other grandparents came to the United States during the war; they came hungry. When they found a place to live, they planted vegetables in every spot of dirt they had. I believe it only takes being hungry one time with absolutely no food available to create a lifelong impression. Today I believe it is important to have an available food source growing in my yard. Emphasis was placed on national duty.

Home canning was encouraged in order to save commercially canned foods for the military and became very popular at this time. My grandmother did her part in the war effort and continued doing so for the rest of her life. Her small garden provided her with vegetables and jellies all year long; each year at harvest time, my mother, grandmother and I would spend hours in the kitchen canning. I have fond memories of female bonding along with the life skills I learned while stirring large pots of delicious smelling foods.

I find gardening as a time of inner reflection while enjoying nature. It lets me get my hands dirty and exercise my body. Gardening is absolutely my favorite thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. Jacki,
    I can not tell you how thrilled I am about your garden project. Everything you mentioned about the Victory Gardens and canning I experienced first hand. Although I was born right after WWII my family kept the home garden going for the Korean War. My wife and I used to can everything but of course tomatoes and peppers and jellies were our favotites.
    Keep up the good work. It is a pleasure following your work.
    PS. I will be appearing on the Saturday Morning show for an interview on my book (joelmader.vpweb.com)on WKYC Channel 3 with Kim Wheeler. I will send you the exact date when I get word. Oh, maybe you could turn this website into a book down the road? This a hot topic, and I can hook you up with my editor.

    ReplyDelete